Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Hokka Hokka Ho

Hokka Hokka Tei is one of Japan's homegrown fast food franchises, specializing in take-out bento (boxed lunch) that are, I have to admit, decent for the price. Its parent company has the strangest, most unappetizing name ever: the Plenus Corporation. There's one on the other side of the parking lot behind my apartment, but I really don't go there often since I have an unspoken duty to eat the school lunch everyday.

I have to pass Hokka Hokka Tei to reach either of the two nearby supermarkets or just about anything else on the south side of town and have noticed a very attractive, impeccably dressed twenty-something woman sitting out front in what seems like a constant vigil, as if she were keeping an egg warm. I'm positive she doesn't work there, just to let you know before that thought even pops into your head.

One thing I have noticed is that she all but stares at men 25+ years-old who don't show up with their wives/GFs/kids, so naturally the grey matter starts churning and spitting out its kneejerk hypotheses. Lady of the night? Looking for the love of her life? But damn...in front of a Hokka Hokka Tei? As C-3PO might say, the odds of either of those being the truth are 3,720 to 1.

But she sure as hell isn't handing out Jack Chick tracts so I'm stumped. Because the above two speculations are all I can figure at the moment I've given her the nickname "Hokka Hokka Ho", crude as it may be.

Now, how to incorporate this story into tomorrow's lesson...

********************

Sorry I haven't been posting lately, been in a bit of a funk for all the normal childish, petulant or downright inexplicable reasons. I'm coming out of it now I think and have much to post about, particularly my schools.

Also, I've started painting in acrylics. Just pop art at the moment--household product packaging and other kitschy crap like that. I'll take photos and post them as I finish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokka_Hokka_Tei
http://www.hokkahokkatei.com/

--Matt

1 comment:

SDeGroot said...

Perhaps they just hired her to lend an air of mystery to the place. You know, like the exact opposite of this marketing campaign: http://defamer.com/hollywood/getting-noticed/nutritionistscreenwriter-helps-paradigm-employees-skip-lunch-294711.php

Anyway, chin up! You're still too young to enter your brooding artist stage.