Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Don't Even THINK About Ever Doing This to Me

I swear to Jeebus that Japanese TV is the worst "entertainment" outlet this world has ever seen. When it's not just downright dull, vapid celebrity variety shows and uninformative news programming it's very very evil prank shows that boil my blood. Here's today's dose of horrible sadism...


Had I been targeted for this sort of prank show while in Japan they had better hope Godzilla or Gamera was around to stop my Tokyo-destroying rampage. I would burn that place down.

********************

The combination of, well, a lot of things, but not limited to the above video and yesterday's heated post, has sent me into a funky spiral of gloom. The focus is, of course, my current employment status. It's not so much that I don't have a job, it's that my forward movement--that laddering up from one job to a better one, even if only slightly--has, at best, stalled if not gone entirely into regression.

I started working before I was even sixteen, my first job being in food services at Noah's Bagels. Went from there to errand boy at an auto body shop, then onto mall retail (twice), then banking, then marketing associate at VIZ, then assistant editor for Animerica, then took a step backwards for survival with the art delivery driver gig during college. My overseas adventure as an English teacher came, went and seems like the peak because guess what my only paying job lead is at the moment. Go on, guess.

Coffee shop barista. And that's not even a sure thing, nor would it start for at least another month. Seriously, I have gone from contributing to the production of a national-level magazine and teaching children English in Japan to maybe--MAYBE--slinging coffee to Oakland Temescal hipsters. Back to the beginning.

This is what a bachelor's degree and over a decade of work experience gets ya, eh?

Fuck me, I'm going for a bike ride.

--Matt

No comments: