Friday, September 18, 2009

Adventure, Huzzah!

It's been a whirlwind of adventure these past 24-hours, diving deep into the brackish waters of unemployment's possibilities. Hey, if ya got the time, use it.

I'm currently writing this from Pirate Cat Radio, a Mission District cafe/pirate radio station (broadcasting under the aegis of a questionable interpretation of FCA regulations) made infamous recently from the publicity fallout after Anthony Bourdain's visit for his No Reservations show. He chatted with the cafe's owner and head DJ, ordered the venerable bacon-maple latte, a liquid dose of Canada, and a legend was born. The morning show that just finished up in the studio featured some douchebag giving "relationship advice" that mostly consisted of techniques for men to bed women 'round the world. That's not too cool, having guests like that on the show, but I was amused to no end when the barista--a woman--opened the studio window and flipped the guest off to his face without a word. The show's over now and they're arguing at the table next to me while I type, it's great.

The reason I'm even here and not doing something in the East Bay is thanks to the current KQED pledge drive that Maia and I are volunteering for. My first shift was yesterday evening, but I find the morning shift suits me better despite starting at A.M. 6:30. The evening shift is quirky--the pledge volunteers were a veritable freak show and callers are cranky after a day's work doing...whatever it is people do for money these days that pisses them off so much (Professional bone marrow donors? Grommet sorter? Dick Cheney's caddy?) Everything's more mellow while the sun's rising though. So now I'm signed up for the morning shifts straight through to next Friday, plus one shift tonight with Maia.

This coffee at PCR is actually my second of the day. I rode over Potrero Hill (a torturous ascent when one fails to bring cleats) to the excellent Farley's, home of what I believe to be the best latte in town. The clientele was a mix of hipster and corporate shill, social slag and socialite. I sat there for about two hours sipping that latte from my new Car Talk mug (won it in the volunteer raffle!) while drawing with the colored pencil set and hardcover sketch book I bought at my favorite Oita art store, Kotobukiya. I'll spend the rest of the day bumming around the city on my bike working off two coffees and a vegan bacon-maple donut seeing if any old college friends want to hang out.

Jesus H. Christ, I need a damn job.

--Matt

No comments: