Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's Very Real Now

My trip to Ota Elementary School today marked the second fare-thee-well ceremony for me this week and the feeling that my time here is coming to a close is quite palpable now. The first came from Hiju JHS on Monday where all seven students played a taiko show just for me (there was literally one chair in the hall) and it was fairly emotional. A cacophany of huge drums beating away at their own "Four Seasons of Hiju" composition--what a way to be sent off.

They're bittersweet affairs, leaving behind Hiju and Ota, but then again my connection to these two schools have been almost entirely positive. With Hiju the students have always been fairly enthusiastic about all their subjects, not just English, and never cause trouble for the educators, while Ota was my first elementary school, my most frequently visited and having hands down the most well-behaved and likable student body. On the other hand, these are waypoints on the path to (hopefully) greener pastures back in SF or wherever I end up. I just wasn't built for this country lifestyle, I crave the diversity of a more populated region. I decided Oita City or Beppu would have done nicely. I've heard the students in Beppu are Satan's own reprehensible offspring, but at least I could have joined a cycling club/less insanely strict kendo club/art class/cooking class/poker night/gone to movies/voluneered for meaningful things/moonlighted as a part-time bartender in a seedy snack/sung at good karaoke boxes/supported the local football team, Trinita/become a video arcade god/organize mass public pranks/etc. Oh, and see my Japanese friends: I actually have more friends in Oita, sixty kilometers away, than I do on my doorstep in Kusu. Madness.

Of course I can complain all I want and it won't change a thing. Besides, who would I be if circumstances were different? Had I not lived in Kusu would I have the opportunity to ride and be as healthy as I am now? Would I have known Chizuru, Luchie and Eriko in Hita? Would I have met Maia? Would I want to be a person who never lived that life?

--Matt

3 comments:

Patrick Ghiocel said...

Well, it will be good to see you when you come back!

I saw this article. And all I could think was "this is what matt would do!"

http://www.divinecaroline.com/22254/77329-----tweed

gangurogrl89 said...

I bet Kusu is waaaay cooler than Beppu!! Take my word for it...there is about as much to do here as there is to do there, I'm sure :)

Unknown said...

Matt, What an honor to have the students perform just for YOU. You must have been a positive influence in their lives the past two years. This was a classy way to show their appreciation.
In the end, their enthusiasm to learn was good for you to experience as their teacher. The city life might have had some exterior attractions for you, but the life you had the past two years was better for yourself in the long run due to your health and close relationships you developed, particularly the one with Maia. In a large city, would the entire student body perform just for you? You are a better person for the experience and I think you know it. Love, Dad