Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Uh...What?!

I'll be taking part in Mori's Gion Festival this year by dressing up in traditional festival garb and pulling a several thousand pound yama(a big cart with a stage on it) around town for, oh, seven or eight hours. Thing is that I'm pulling the Mori yama, not the Tsukawaki one (where I live). What can I say, I like Mori more than Tsukawaki--it's got way more heart. Apparently that's a big deal causing people to scratch their heads, so remember that.

Tonight I went to Kintaro (my favorite restaurant in town) to square things with the owner, Makoto, who's also the head organizer for yama and my friend Hide Nakashima came in for a drink. Hide's a full blown alcoholic, so maybe it was the shochu talking, but when Makoto asked for my email to put on the mailing list for pullers Hide kind of pulled him aside and said "Be very careful with that list, don't let it be seen by anyone in Tsukawaki. I don't want them seeing Matt and breaking his bones or anything. Be very careful." I'd think it a joke if it weren't for the looks on Hide and Makoto's faces. Is this festival business that big a deal?!

--Matt

No comments: