Monday, February 25, 2008

Japan's Abandoned Places


Yufu-dake, which rises like a spike overlooking the hot springs town of Yufuin, has lost its snow cap on this unusually warm winter day. Next, the road to Kijima--the Beppu-Yufuin Pass.

One of my favorite link blogs, Grow a Brain, had a link to a Japanese photographer's portfolio webpage a while back that was chock full of fascinating shots of a Japan most people--Japanese included--never see. The subject: Japan's abandoned places. It took me only to page three to become completely enthralled by the collection since #41 is a place I see every single day here in Kusu. The Bungo Mori Kikanko (Bungo Mori Train Roundhouse) is located at what was the center of town little more than thirty years ago, the Mori neighborhood. It's every bit as creepy-looking as the photographer makes it out to be even though there's a Roundhouse Festival every year the town takes pride in.


Kijima's skating rink with Yufu-dake's eastern face in the background. Next door to that, Ranko and Yo-chan mug for the camera.

The site sort of slipped from my memory until last Monday when I went ice skating at Kijima with all eight students from Hiju JHS. Kijima is a strange combination amusement park/golf course/spa resort complex located in the mountains between Yufuin and Beppu, east of Kusu. That strip of mountains is such beautiful country that I'm mortified at the idea of a gaudy amusement park there, and even moreso now that I've got a good look at it and know it will almost certainly be on the above mentioned website within twenty years, tops. I don't think there's anyone to blame really except the park's owners/investors who had the brilliant idea to deposit such a park on a high, windy plateau where only visitors who want fingers amputated for frostbite would come knocking during the four winter months.

Did I mention I got a new computer? Yeah, there it is like the obelisk from 2001. Sorry guys, I've had too much trouble with form-factor/toaster computers to go with one anymore.

As an added bonus this post you get to see my typical lunch...the infamous Kusu-machi Kyushoku! Miso soup, rice, some side vegetable dish, milk and, this time, a freakin' creme brulee?! Just. Plain. Nutty.

--Matt

No comments: