Friday, June 27, 2008

Creepy Things My Students Do and Say

Short post today, I just want to throw this out there for your contemplation.

So I'm teaching one of the three first-year classes at Mori JHS and I see one of the girls turned around doing something to her friend/classmate's arm with a mechanical pencil. What it turned out she was doing was extending the graphite of her pencil, locating a vein on her friend's arm and demonstrating, with textbook precision how, to inject a hypodermic needle in the arm.

"Wow, you're very good at that", I say.

"I practice a lot", she says.

"I hate injections. Do you really like them or something?", I say.

"Yeah, I love them. I get them whenever I can. When I go to the doctors I ask the nurses for more injections."

"You are a twisted little psychopath and I fear for your future boyfriend/girlfriend/partner and any pets you may have", I think, but don't say.

Kids these days...they're freaky deaky for sure.

************************

Map four finished! So that makes (in order) Parkside/Outer Sunset, Inner Sunset @Irving and 9th, Cole Valley and Inner Richmond. I was at the Daiso 100-yen store on Wednesday in Oita and bought two more canvases, one about 50% larger than the previous ones and the other larger and triangular. I spent about two hours between and after classes today measuring and laying out the Castro and Duboce Triangle neighborhoods with ruler and pencil and hoo boy! This one's going to take a very long time to finish--probably as long as two or three of the previous in work hours. It's a labor of love though, and the kids love it!

--Matt

1 comment:

SDeGroot said...

Pictures, damn you! I'm a visual learner.