Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Capuchin I Keep in the Closet's Gonna Be Pissed

I'm genuinely surprised why the subject of the banana doesn't come up in environmental and/or free market discussions, but then again it's probably more the media's fault for that than the scientific community's. The topic I'm talking about is the imminent death of the banana. Yes, that banana. The one we peel and put on cereal, slice and mix with strawberries and soy milk to make shakes from or just plain munch before work. I heard about it from a college professor and looked into it a bit just a few years ago and not much has changed--we're still heading towards its demise. Here, read this please.

There's one more issue facing the humble banana the author doesn't mention in there, namely that the banana has been bred by United Fruit (is that just about the most heartless, totalitarian fucking fruit company name you've ever heard? No wonder they changed it to Chiquita...) to be nearly seedless. Banana's still have really tiny seeds, sure, but they're not as hardy as they used to be and the banana plant has a hard time reproducing itself without human assistance. Well, the domesticated "Cavendish" type at least. Actually, the modern banana is bred asexually, ensuring that the plant will never ever evolve an immunity to Panama Disease or any other disease that comes along to hasten its demise.

I'm sure Republicans, Libertarians and assorted Randian jackasses will take umbrage at this, but it's really examples like this and Enron--companies that play fast and loose looking for the best short-term buck--that show the need for some, some, regulation. I'd pay three times as much as I pay now for bananas to know I can still jam some into a PBJ sandwich at the age of 60. If I have to resort to plantains...so help me, I will *bleep* *bleep* your *bleep* *bleep* in the *bleep*. And your cat too, Chiquita.

Act like adults, damn it. Show a modicum of responsibility.

--Matt

No comments: